FRONT END GROAN

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix

Noises problem
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 146000 miles

This is pretty simple to explain. It sounds as if I have huge gumbo mudder tires on the steer tires. While I accelerate a low groan grows until it is nearly deafening. When I steer right the sound grows steering left and straight there are no changes what so ever.
Now at a stand still I shift from park to neutral to drive and notice only a soft click from the inside of the car.
Im about to start looking at what the possible cause is but I am in hopes this will all ring a bell with someone.
By the way. The tires are in great shape and symptoms do not change at all if I rotate them. No bulges, uneven wear, cupping or anythng abnormal.
Thanks in advance. Ironman
058 ironman

Check the hub bearings. Sounds like one is worn out.

Merlin2021
I checked the hub bearings once. I can re-check them. I sent you an IM Merlin. Problem gets louder and stronger as I accelerate as well. Iron

058 ironman
Inner tie rod and wheel bearing slop.

058 ironman
Inner tie rod will sound a bit like a coffee percolator! The groan is the hub bearing.3 bolts and 1 axle nut, and it comes right off.

Merlin2021
I found both wheel bearings to have slop in there via top and bottom twist. I am getting about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of play from either side.

058 ironman
Im thinking I need to unbolt the strut or lower ball joint on this. Any input would be appreciated

058 ironman
Nm. All done.

058 ironman