TICKING NOISE AFTER INTAKE GASKET R

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix SE with 100,000 miles on the 3.1L V6. The car was given to me by a friend and was not running (battery was dead) and the oil looked like milk. I was told it had possible head gasket leak and had sit for about a year. After closer inspection I found that it needed a new water pump and a new intake gasket. After tearing down the top half of the engine and pulling off the intake gasket, I was sure that this is where water/coolant was making its way into the oil. I removed the push rods so I could remove what was left of the old intake gasket and place the new one on. When I took the push rods out I put them in a block of styrofoam and labeled them exactly where they went (dummy proof right). When I reinstalled them and tightened down the rocker arms, one of the rockers was still moving almost freely up and down. I checked to insure the right push rod was in the right spot and it was, bc the longest push rod goes on the exhaust on this model. So hoping it was just a valve that was stuck closed, I continued to put the engine back together. After I completed the job, and go the car to start back up it was making an extremly loud ticking noise (assuming it was my loose rocker arm). I tried to flush the oil system and even use engine oil cleaners to help free up what I hoped was a stuck valve, but after 4 oil changes the engine was still making the tapping sound. Is there any thing else it could be or that I can do short of tearing the intake back off and replacing the valve lifters.
Thank You.
Zach
Zsgjatt