HEADLIGHTS

Pontiac Grand Am

2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE 3.4 V6 119,900 miles. 4 speed automatic transmission
Ok. So here we go. 2 questions. First, Lately I have been having problems with the cars acceleration. Shifts and accelerates fine in 1st & 2nd gear, when you are in 3rd or overdrive and are trying to acccelerate, the acceleration is choppy/jerky. It also seems to shift prematurely. Can be going 40 mph and its in OD tach says 1100 PRM. RPM's jump when watching the tachometer during acceleration. We have replaced fuel filter a couple days ago hoping that was the problem, it curved the problem slightly. Air filter is fine. I just had a high performance muffler put on the car. Spark plugs were changed about 15K miles ago. I have no idea whats the matter.

Question 2: 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE 3.4 V6 119,900 miles. This vehicle has automatic headlights. The problem is that when they turn on just the parking and driving lights come on. The low-beam headlights do not. However, if you turn on the high-beams, they work. Sometimes they work, and flicker, sometimes they work fine, others not at all. Sometimes turning brights on then off again turns on the low beams other times nothing. I had a 97 Cavalier that had a problem with daytime running lights staying on when you turned on the headlights and I had to replace the whole turn signal stick. Do you think its the same problem? Please please help! My mechanic is stumped!
Mantagreen