ABS ISSUES ON A

2004 Pontiac Grand Am

I recently have been hearing a sound in the front of my car that sounds like a manual upshifting and downshifting when I accelerate and decelerate, respectively. I don't have a manual car. I was told it might have been the wheel bearing, so I took it to a mechanic and he didn't hear anything when he checked them.

Last week, I was rearended from behind about about 5 miles and hour. No damage, but when I was driving home, my ABS light, Trac Off and Service Vehicle Soon (not the Service Engine Soon) lights all came on. They come on now at sporadic intervals after I start up the car ranging from after 25 mins of driving to right when I start the car, but once they go on they remain on until I shut the car off.

I took it to Auto Zone and had them hook it up to their computer but there were no codes. They also tested the Charging System. Then I took it to a mechanic and still no codes. Both places tried with the car and and off to test the codes and they couldn't figure out what was wrong.

I then took it to the Pontiac dealership and they told my it was most likely my Hub and Bearing Assembly and it would cost $400. (But the mechanic couldn't hear anything wrong with the bearings before.)

I tested a theory today (it just snowed) and hit the brakes. The lights weren't on at the moment and I could feel the ABS working. A few seconds later, the lights were on and when I tried them, the ABS didn't work.

Can anyone tell em what's wrong? Is it really my hub/bearing assembly or something else. I don't want to pay $400 if it's just wasting my money.

Thanks.
Getalinks