CODE 440

2004 Pontiac Grand Am

Have a 2004 Pontiac grand am ct. Engine light is on, change oil light is on. Took it to autozone got a reading of the PCM got code 440. What do you recommend I do first? And where is the oil filter on this car?
Csantos

My guess is you have the 2.2 motor. If I am right,

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_oil_filter_1.gif

PO440 has to do with a problem in the evaporative system, possible sealing, purge valve or solenoid problem. Pretty tough for a do-it -yourselfer. Either you throw parts at it or have a shop with quality scanners and smoke machines diagnosis it.

Hey thanks! LOL. Well we'll take it to a mechanic then! My husband went to the gas station, added gas and the service engine light went off! Hallleujiah! Maybe it was the gas cap not on tight enough?
Thanks for answering me so promptly! I really appreciate it and I'll copy your reply to take to the mechanic's shop so he'll know what to check. Just in case he wants to over charge me or something! Thanks again!

Csantos
Cancel the appt. If the light isn't on, don't worry about it. It very well may have been the cap.

I wouln't take this to your mechanic. It would be an insult, I'm sure he is well aware of the system.

With the money you saved, maybe you will send a donation?

Thanks!
I'll sure try to send a donation come payday, 2 weeks! I'm just glad we have a truck as a stand by!
Thanks for the help, you were great: ).

Csantos