FUELSYSTEM

2000 Pontiac Grand Am

2000 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 117000 miles

While driving from the airport in Albuquerque New Mexico to Pecos New Mexico at around 80 mph my Gand Am just stopped with no warning. When I coasted to the side of the road I crossed some very very high rumble strips and after stopping, tried to start the car, it started after about 2 or 3 minutes and I continued from about 5 miles south of Santa Fe to half way between Santa Fe and Pecos, a distance of about 12 miles, where it stopped again and has not started yet. A mechanic friend of mine said fuel pump but at 271 dollars I wanted to get another opinion. I have checked for spark and there is spark, sprayed starting fluid into intake and it runs till fluid dissapates. I was wondering about the fuel pump relay or fuse etc. I have not checked those yet. There is no codes set, at least the SES is not on.
Also increased altitude by 2000'

Any thoughts?
Graison

The fuel pump relay is located in the junction block and the fuse for the fuel pump is no.18 see below-

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_junction_block_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fuel_pump_11.jpg

"This is a follow up from my previous post about the fule pump on my 2000 Grand Am 3.4l. After further study I found a large wad of insulation that a rodent had deposited on the intake side of my air filter efectively plugging it up. I also found the fuel pump fuse blown. Replaced the fuse, removed the rats nest and the car runs great. Plan on replacing the fuel filter tomorrow. Also I would like to know if there is a way to replace the pump (if it is needed) without removing the fuel tank, and is a bad fuel pump the only thing that will cause the fuse to be blown out?"

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/2000-pontiac-grand-am-fuel-system-vt160557.html?highlight=

Blackop555
I have the same problem right now with my grand am 2000 I changed the fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, and had the ignition control module tested which was good. I am thinking it may be my fuel pump but I will check to see if anything is clogging or restricting air to the filter and will check the fuel pump relay as well. My question to you is how do you check or test to see if the relay is bad? My answer to your question about the fuel pump is yes you have to take off the fuel tank to remove the pump which is inside. I did it like 4 years ago, I had problems with my fuel pump not working and removed it to find out the screen outside the pump was clogged and could not be replaced you had to buy a whole new pump with the housing and I bypassed the screen and was fine so I wonder if now the pump may have finally given out with trash that has run through it for a few years.

Jimcor21645
Just too fill every one in you do not have to remove the tank to replace the pump in these vehicles

Open the trunk and lift the carpet in front of the spare tire well you'll see an access panel remove the screws and the fuel pump is accessible right there.

Make sure you release pressure before disconnecting the lines.

Feelgood71
Thanks buddy I did not know you can take it off through your trunk. WOW that is a lot easier than getting under the car to remove the gas tank. I'll update you and let you know if that actually worked for me when and if I have to change out my fuel pump.

Jimcor21645
Thanks for that piece of information mr feel good!

Blackop555