CHECK ENGINE SOON LIGHT

2000 Pontiac Grand Am

2000 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Automatic

my service engine soon light is on and blinking, the cars idle is off and when you come to a stop or slow down the car will shut off. When it is running it sounds like a lawn mower.
Bconley1

First thing you need to do is have the codes read, Autozone does it free, Post the results with the code number(s). Even if the service engine light is not on, there should be freeze frame data stored.
If it won't make it to Autozone, buy a cheap scanner, they can be had for 30-40 dollars, a good investment, since they cover all cars sold in the USA from 96 on.
If the light is blinking, it means engine misfires possible damage to the Catalytic converter. Service it right away!

Merlin2021
Yes the light started blinking on way home the other day and thats when it started running like crap, we did already hook up the scanner it said cylinder 3 was misfiring or only running on 3 cylinders. A few months back I took my car to a repair shop becau se it was loud and I thought there was a hole in the catylic converter but I guess it turned out to be be a hole in the resignator so they didnt have one so they ran a straight pipe in place of the resignator, would this be my problem? The repair shop I took my car to get repaired this time put a used motor in my car about 5 mo ago this was after the resignator and they are saying it is a coil thats bad? But they seem kind of shady.

Bconley1
Well you do have a misfire, so the code was P0303, For cylinder #3, Check coil, wires and plugs. Also could be a bad fuel injector.

Merlin2021