ENGINE CRANKS BUT WONT START OR STAY

1999 Pontiac Grand Am

1999 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

When I went to start my car this morning the engine cranked but wouldnt start. After several attempts I palyed with the accelerator and it started but as soon as I released the accelerator pedal the engine turned off. I made several more attempts and even got the engine to operating temperature but the engine would always turn off after releasing the accelerator.
I was experiencing this same problem when I posted my original question (12/26/09). I replaced the IAC valve as suggested and the engine ran fine until this morning. The plugs and wires are less than 6 months old. The battery is about 1 moth old. There are no trouble codes present. The fuel and air filters were just replaced. The fuel presssure was checked on one of my many trips to the mechanic for the first problem and I was told it was OK (55psi).
Fepaulino

Hi fepaulino, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

What you need to do here is clean-out the idle air control valve, then test these following components: throttle position sensor, manifold absolute pressure sensor, PCV and EGR valves, to include a fuel pressure check to verify that it is within specification

Thank you Rasmataz. I just got home an it started pefectly. When I replaced the IAC as you originally suggested, I cleaned out the housing it sits in as best I could but I will try again. Again, as the car has been working fine since I replaced the IAC I didn't even consider that the EGR could be involved. As for the other components, (PCV I will just go ahead and replace)do they require any special testing equipment?

Fepaulino
The PCV is just remove and replace deal, also test the coolant temperature sensor-this one tells the computer to enrich the fuel for a cold starts. In a EFI fuel system if all is a go-you don't have to play footsie with the gas pedal-should start right up.

Also might consider checking the fuel pressure if its within specs and also the fuel pump relay

TY for the donation much appreciated