PONTIAC GRAND AM ENGINE PROBLEM

1997 Pontiac Grand Am

First I want to thank you for your web site. I bought a 1997 Pontiac Grand AM 2.4L quad 4 engine, mileage 107406
it drove fine for about 2 weeks then with no warning it would die on me while driving it doesn't matter how fast I'm going but if I am going 45mph or faster I can turn the key backwards and then back forward and it will start right up. The only thing that changes on the instrument panel is the tack and the speed ometor they will both fall to 0 but no lights ever come on not even the check engine light, oh I almost forgot I can leave it in drive to do this. If I am going slower than 45 I have to pull over to the side and start it. Sometimes I have to turn the key off and on several times before it will start. Occassionally when I start to take off it will die when I press down on the accelerator when I do this all the start instrument lights come on. Please help me if you can my husband is ready to junk it. He's tried the fuel pump but I think the one he put on it might also be bad.
Tn_littlebit