UPPER RADIATOR HOSE

1995 Pontiac Grand Am

I have a 1995 Pontiac Grand Am 2.3L Quad 4. The upper radiator hose burst yesterday and so I replaced the hose. Then I started it up after putting some water in in it and ran it until it heated up. The engine started to run hot. So, I took out the thermostat, checked it in some boiling water, and it worked fine.
Do you have any idea what might be happening here? My dad suggested that it could be the head gasket, but the car is running normally (no knocks) and would that cause the upper radiator hose to burst anyway? Thanks for any help.
Rotz19

Here's a few things it could be, head gasket, water pump not circulating, or even a clogged radiator.I would still change the thermostat. Sometimes they will stick, causing an overheating issue and other times it will open normally. If you know how to check these areas, then thats where I would start. Let me know if you need assistance. Good luck

Bootdog