FLOOD DAMAGE

2006 Pontiac G6

2006 Pontiac G6 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 46000 miles

i was stuck in traffic and in about 2 feet of water. My car ran in the water for about 3 min then died. I tried to start the car while I was still in the water about 5 times and it would not start. 5 hours later the car started and ran like crap. After 5-6 min I turned off the car and checked the oil. I have water in the oil( its milky). Did I do more damage by starting the car? And what should I do to fix the problem( I dont want to have problems in the future)
Zoonaga

Hi there,

You will need to flush the oil and change the filter, I would also do the transmission as well or you may have problems done the road if water entered the trans, check the air filter for water, if damp replace, let the ignition system dry out if the air filter is wet, you may have water in the combustion chamber of one or more cylinders, pull the plugs and crank too see if any water is ejected, the exhaust will be full of water as well that will be hard to drain, but if you get the engine running this water will be ejected, if you do have water in a cylinder and you attempted to run the engine you may have bent a valve, so I would be doing a comp test to check for this as well, start here.

Mhpautos