COOLING MODE ON

2007 Pontiac G5

Engine Cooling problem
2007 Pontiac G5 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 56,000 miles

First of all thank you for this wonderful website. My daughter is buying a used car and driving it back and forth to college.
She called me earlier and said that she had cut her car off but it sounded like the fan belt was still running or something. She has had it about a month and had never noticed this before. I told her to cut her car off and to restart it and she did and it stopped. The next time she drove it a short distance it did it again and she noticed a light that said " Cooling Mode On" does this mean that it is over heating or some button that she has pushed or activated? Thank you for your help with this matter. Nan
Nanh79

Hey there,
I came across the same question because my girlfriends care did the same thing, She has a 2008, So they are similar enough.
My research has found that its nothing serious,
I will quote the owner book word for word for you.

" COOLING MODE ON" This message may display on some vehicles.
Under severe conditions, hot ambient
temperatures, steep grades, and towing, your
vehicle may experience more transaxle shifting.
This is temporary and normal under these
conditions. This does not require engine or
transaxle service.

As I read this I found relief because Its money we do not have. So glad to help.

Cam32541