SERPENTINE BELT TENSIONER

1996 Pontiac Firebird

Engine problem
1996 Pontiac Firebird V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 25000 miles

I have to replace the serpentine belt automatic tensioner on an LT-1 engine. Can you tell me the steps to do so and should I be able to do this w/o a car lift?
Thanks,
Kevin
KevinEalahan

Kevin, the belt can be changed without it on a lift. Check on the underside of the hood for a diagram that shows how the belt runs. If there is no diagram then draw a picture of how the belt is on. Using a 1/2 in braker bar and a socket the fits the tensioner release tension on the belt. While loose remove belt from the tensioner. Slowely let pressure off the. You will be able to remove the belt then. You will have to snake it out and snake a new one in. After you have it routed the belt then use the breaker bar pull the tensioner back so you can get the new belt over the pulley. Be careful to make sure the belt is on correctly and is seated in the groves of the other pulleys. If not seated right the belt could come off when the car is started.

M_H_RITZEL