OIL PRESSURE GAUGE

1995 Pontiac Firebird

1995 Pontiac Firebird V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 95,000 miles

Hello, i'm a owner of a 95 firebird formula with a LT-1 V-8 motor. I've been having a problem with my oil pressure gauge when my motor gets warm at about 180 degress, my oil pressure gauge drops and my check gauge light then pops on. I have plenty of oil in the engine.I took it to the local pontiac dealer and the guy told me that there's a problem with the delivery of oil into the block. He also said it would be cheaper to get a new motor then try and repair this one. So the bird as been sitting in my garage and won't start now. Something seems to be draining the battery, i've changed battries and recharged the battery but a day or two later batterys dead again.
95firbirdformula

When the oil pressure drops do you hear the valves making noise? The oil pressure guage is electrical or manual. If its electric try putting a manual one in to get a good reading on the presure. I am not saying that there is nothing wrong with the engine I am looking to see what the correct pressure is. With reference with the battery drain. With a voltage meater check what the voltage is draining in the car, then try to remove one fuse at a time until the voltage drops. Some equipment has voltage going to it all the time. That is why I say look for the drop in usage of voltage. There may just be a wire that is shorted. See what you come up with.

M_H_RITZEL
I heard no sounds from engine, when running, engine sounded great (untill it got to above 180 degrees, then the oil pressure drops like a rock, this car has been babied. The mechanic at my local Pontiac dealership put a gauge on the oil imput (pump, I guess) and told me that he was only reading 2 psi. I've looked at the location of the oil pump and it looks like I would have to take out the motor to get to the oil pump? Do you know anything on this this I have heard that the engine in the 95 firebird has to be dropped from the car that you can't lift motor up and out is that true. Thanks on the battery issue I can check that.

95firbirdformula
I wondered about the engine removal and found that one must remove the engine from the bottom . Before 1993 the engine could be removed from the top like normal bujt since the body style change it's diferent. What bothers me about your engine is that the oil pressure stays up until it reaches 180 degrees. If you lost oil pressure the lifers would make a racket. you can try using some engine cleaner. the screen in the oil pan could be glogged. Or it could be the oil pump. try some engine cleaner first to see what happens. enclosing instruction to remove the engine. You might have to save as picture then resize when you have them on your computer.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/54223_engine_removal_pontiac_93_up_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/54223_93_n_up_pontiac_engine_removal_1.jpg

M_H_RITZEL
Thanks MJ for the info, I believe that I will end up taking the engine out to check it.

95firbirdformula
Before going through all that try some engine cleaner to see if the screen is clogged. It will help clean it a bit. Also see if you can get a mechanical guage for the oil pressure. This way you would know for sure its not the electrical guage or a bad wire connection. And it will save a lot of money if the guage or wire is bad. If you find little or no oil pressure then you can still pull the engine.

M_H_RITZEL
MY 95 firebird formula had the same problem.I changed the oil and filter and put in a bottle of Gunk engine oil cleaner. Then I ran it for 5 minutes and changed the oil and filter again. Works fine now and oressure is right where it should be. Try this first before you take out the motor.A auto repair shop gave me the same info you said about taking the motor out to check the oil pump. Try the cleaner first.

The big red one
I tend to agree with the big red one. The screen on the bottom of the oil pan do get clogged up over the years. It really does not take that long to clog it up. Try some engine cleaner and follow instructions. It may be neccessory redo it again but don't do it right away.

M_H_RITZEL