LOSING POWER

1991 Pontiac Firebird

1991 Pontiac Firebird V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 142470 miles

This is a follow up to a previous posting. The problem was that my car began to lose power after several hard accelerations. The first part I suspected was the transmission. Had the fluid changed two days ago. Test drive found that shifting improved a little, and the car seemed to hold power better. One of the things I noticed durring the test drive was that it was a cool day. Today was a lot hotter and the loss of power was worse. We all know that the more cold air that you can get into an engine, the more horse power. Warm air dose not work this way. Durring normal opperation, engines produce heat. The hotter the engine gets, the less it performs good. With the engine prducing heat and hot air going into it, horse power suffers. This is what my car appears to be dealing with. On cold days it runs good, hot days it bogs down. I believe that the MAP sensor could be bad. If these later modle Firebirds are equiped with a MAF sensor, that could be another source of the problem. The air filter could be at fault too. If you have any other suggestions, please reply to this posting.

Thank You
LTKNT

Do you a check engine light or has flashed and disappeared? If so pull the code/s and comeback with it.

Check and monitor the fuel pressure/test for an exhaust restriction and test throttle position/MAP/MAT sensors and the knock sensor