IDLE

1987 Pontiac Firebird

1987 Pontiac Firebird 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 70,000 miles

I have a 1987 Pontiac Firebird V-6 with 70,000 original miles. Just completed tune-up. (Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV valve, fuel filter, injector cleaner) Engine idles normal when first starting. After warm up engine idles at about 700-800 rpms. When putting car into gear the engine idles between 550-650 and jumps back and forth. Get low idle when coming to a stop. Does die out sometimes when attempting to give it gas. Car will not restart when transmission is placed in neutral. Have to place in park to restart, does restart right away. Engine runs fine othe
Diezelone

Find the idle air control valve clean it out and its bypassages and adjust for min. Air and see what happens.

I did locate the IACV and did clean it out. I also checked the EGR Valve. No change to idle when the car is in gear. Still has a low idle when in gear. Any other suggestions?

Diezelone
When was it last tune-up? Check the PCV valve/throttle position sensor/MAF/MAP, Vacuum leaks-check the fuel pressure