ABS LIGHT STAYS ON

2002 Pontiac Aztek

Hello, I'm posting this question about our SUV for my husband.

He has a 2002 Pontiac Aztec with approx 80k miles on it.

His ABS light has been on for the past week. The light comes on when he starts the suv and stays on. However, he notices no difference with his braking performance.

We are taking the car into the dealers next week to have it looked at. Unfortunatly, are car is not covered by warranty anymore. So I would like to have some vague idea about what the problem might be and how extremely horrible the $$ damage is gonna be.
TIA!
Mystyfan

Hard to tell without scanning for trouble codes. Could be something as simple as a wheel speed sensor or as major as the ABS unit

Jack42
You may find the repair less expensive at an independent garage and get a better warranty.

The ABS and the regular mechainical brakes are different systems although can have inter related symptoms. Wheel bearing are more of a common problem with the abs light. $300?