UNUSUAL WATER LEAK, '00 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN

2000 Plymouth Other

Hi. I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.8l engine, 62,000 miles. I have a fairly significant water leak, but I am having trouble figuring out where the leak is coming from. I cleaned the area around the water pump fairly thoroughly, and initially thought it was just a misaligned clamp on the lower radiator hose, or possibly the water pump. After letting the car sit overnight, I found a small puddle in my driveway this morning again. I see no water leaking from the inlet or outlet hoses to the water pump. What I DO see is water appear to be coming from the seam(gasket) between the chain case cover (? - Maybe the from belt cover?) And the front of the engine. It is wet right behind the water pump/chain case cover assy. From my service manual it looks like the water pump bolts to the chain case cover, and the chain case cover is bolted to the front of the engine.

Is it even possible for water to be leaking from this location? I might think oil, but water?

Is it still possbile the water pump is really the clupret? This would seem unlikely to me since the wetness is behind the chain case cover.

Could there be something worse going on here? I pulled the dipstick to check the oil, and the oil on the dipstick seemed pretty thin. It actually dripped a few drops off onto my driveway when I pulled it out. It's 10W-40, and it's 50 deg F out, so I would expect it to be a little thicker. Bearing the location of my apparent leak, do I have some bigger worries to think about?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Mtnman82

Unless I am mistaken by the location of the water pump it is in that area and is your problem.

Bruce Hunt