TRANSMISSION

Plymouth Other

1998 Plymouth Voyger 3.0l V6 MPi. Mileage: 115000mi I was given this vehicle with reports that a new transmission was needed. I hired a car trailer to move the van for fear of causing any damage to the transmission. I drove the van foward onto the trailer with no problem and no distinctive noise from the transmission it even wheel spun getting onto the trailer, the only noticable fault was when reversing off the trailer. When starting to back-up the van moved then felt as if neutral had been engaged but the engine did not over rev then by removing acceleration and applying again the van moved no problem. My question is how should/could one check to see if there is a problem other than driving and could there be a setting/adjustment on the linkages or bands in the transmission? There was no noticable noise when reversing either.
Would draining the transmission oil give any tell tale sign of a possible problem? Thanks Richard.
Travelerraj

Take out the dipstick for the transmision, smell the
end. If it had a burnt smell that the vehicle may have been overheated. Check make sur the fluid is at proper level. Could be the filter, or might need to be flushed

M_H_RITZEL