VOYAGEUR, 6 CYLINDER, 175,000 MILES

1998 Plymouth Other

Note: This is a company vehicle. I've been using it app. One-and-a-half years.

This is an automatic transmission.

In January 2006, the transmission was rebuilt. I ahve no knowledge about whetehr any of the parts were new, etc. The work was done by the mechanic used by our company. I dont' think he sent it to a transmission shop.

About 10 days ago, transmission problems resurfaced. The gears were " slipping.&Quot;

Although the warranty had expired shortly before, the mechanic sent it to a transmission shop and said that the word would be done as if still under warranty.

I got the van back about a week ago. It felt fine. Very smooth.

Today I drove for about an hour on the expressway.
It was cold, but not slowing; about -15 C. (I live in Canada).

When I stopped to clean the windshield, I also check the air in the tires. It was 5 pounds over in 2 tires, so I let a little air out, down to 35 (the pressure recommended for the tires). I replaced the caps properly.

About 10 minutes later, driving down a side road, at normal residentila-area speed, we heard a sudden noise that sounded like air being let out of a baloon slowly; I high-pitched, whistle-like sound that sounded as though it was coming from the underside, sort of toward the rear of the vehicle. Nothing was unusual but the noise. It only lasted about 3 or 4 seconds. I stopped, checked the tires; they were fine. Looked in the engine and under the vehicle. Saw and heard nothing unusual except a very slight squeak of a belt in the engine; othing lose.

Because of the unexplained noise, I stayed off the expressway. I heard the same noise again about 15 minutes later, while driving at normal speed.

About 15 minutes after that, while leaving a stop sign, acceleration was very slow for a few seconds; it felt as though the engine wasn't slipping into propr gear to accelerate, then it was normal.

This happened twice.

Do you have any ideas what this would be?

I can't help but think it's realted to the transmission - AGAIN - but if so, I wouldn't know what it would be. I don't know what was found to be the exact transmission problem a few days ago.

Any suggestions? What should I ask the transmission shoip to look for before getting into something complicated?

I'd be happy to send a donation, but not over the internet with a credit card.

If you'll email to me an address where I can send a small donation to offset your costs of the website operation, please email to me a mailing address.

Thanks.

Steve
S. Barnes