MODELS ENGINE WON'T START

1971 Plymouth Other

Engine problem
1971 Other Plymouth Models 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 96000 miles

We were driving our 1971 Plymouth Valiant down the road when it suddenly died. The engine turns, but it is making a sqeaking noise and will not turn over. The engine was low on oil but was not low enough to cause the engine to lock up. The engine is a slant six and we have had no problems with the engine other than it leaking/using oil. What could be the cause of this problem?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/150641_valiant_1.jpg

Hcfd501

Hi: Are you saying the engine may be locked up? Try this, whith the key OFF, put a wrench on the crank pulley bolt and see if you can turn the engine by hand. If so, it isn't locked. Let me know what you find. Also, let me know if the starter is working, if so, are you getting spark and fuel to the engine.

PS: The car look to be in great shape. Where I live, the salt on the roads has put them all in the junk yard. I wish I could find some of the older ones.