ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT COMING AND GOING

2003 Opel Astra

Computer problem
2003 Opel Astra 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 45000 miles

The engine management light has been coming on frequently in the last few days (after having been on a Ferry - don ´t know if this is relevant).

It tends to come on after about 5 minutes of driving but if I turn engine off and on again, it goes.

I found an article on the internet explaining how to get the error code by putting foot on brake and gas pedals, turning ignition on and watching the sequence in which the light flashes (4 sequences with a pause in between each sequence, each sequence representing a single digit number).

On trying this, the sequence gave me the following number 1113. Maybe this is nonsense and I shouldn ´t believe everything I see on te internet.

Anyway there is also a slight whistling sound that SEEMS to be coming from under the car when the engine is running. There is also a slight low level mechanical whirring with the occasional quiet ´clunk click ´ noise coming from the glovebox area.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Phil
Phillipwatt

The only way to retrieve the fault codes from this vehicle is via diagnostic computer .. you could, at one time "flash code" the fault, but not on this year of vehicle .. you need to take the car to repair centre and retrieve the fault codes .. repost with the codes for a better diagnosis and repair information .. all i can suggest you do in the meantime is check your drivebelts are tight and the pulley's are not damaged or worn !!

let me know

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_385.png

Dave H
Thanks, I will put on diagnostics and let you know. I note from further internet research that it is not uncommon for the ECU itself to go bad and this would also result in the light coming on intermitently.

Phillipwatt
Hello.

The ECU can go bad .. as with all elctrical and mechanical systems nowadays.. the light going on and off is telling you have an intermittent fault ...could be a simple loose wire or sensor starting to fail .. the MIL (malfunction indicator light) will flash or come on steady when the ECU detects a fault .. if it comes on and goes off, the the fault is intermittent and the ECU stores a fault code in it's memory for a technician to read and locate the cause of the fault .. if the fault does not re-occur within 40/50 ignition cycles (start up's) then the code is erased ..if the light comes on steady all the time or starts to flash constantly then the ECU is telling you there is a fault somewhere that could be damaging the catalytic convertor and emmissions system ... this needs to be looked at ASAP ...I would not be worried at this stage about a bad ECU ..get the codes and repost for further information

Hope this helps .. let me know

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_386.png

Dave H
The guy in the garage got the error code P1113, which he cleared but on turning the engine on, it came back but with more codes (see attached print of the error reports).

After a bit of tinkering, he eventually cleared these and suggested that I see if they come back. I am not really sure I understood correctly (he is Spanish and I am still learning) but I think he was suggesting they may be old codes that were never cleared.

Anyway, so far they have not come back after a 60km drive. I suppose we shall have to wait and see.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Phil

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/335617_troublecodes_Page_1_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/335617_troublecodes_Page_3_2.jpg

Phillipwatt
I guess you probably can ´t read these attachments.

The codes are: P1113-001
P1116-002
P1112-002
P0443

Phillipwatt
I think your technician is doing the smart thing and waiting to see if the codes re-appear. The code PO113 I have no definition for and is probably related to po112 ECT sensor. The MAF code and the po443 are probably related to each other (ie.) One may have caused the other and could have been set by simply not tightening the petrol cap correctly. Let us see if they do come back? Also could you let me know if you still have the clicking noise behind the glove box?

P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction

For Continuous Memory Only DTC P0443: Inspect EVAP Canister Purge Valve Circuit For Intermittent Failure
DTC P0443 is set when EVAP Monitor test fails due to EVAP canister purge valve circuit signal reading outside minimum or maximum allowable calibrated parameters for a specified duty cycle PCM detects. Possible causes are: VPWR Circuit Open
EVAP Canister Purge Valve Circuit Open, Or Shorted To GND Or VPWR
Faulty EVAP Canister Purge Valve
Faulty PCM
Repeat KOEO ON-DEMAND SELF-TEST and KOER ON-DEMAND SELF-TEST. If DTC P0443 is present in KOEO or KOER ON-DEMAND self-test, go to next step. If DTC P0443 is present in Continuous Memory only, check for intermittent faults. Go to TEST Z, step 1). If no faults are indicated, replace PCM.

P1112 Engine Coolant Temperature Radiator Outlet Sensor High Input

P1116 Mass Or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem (Bank 2)

Dave H
Hi

Fyi, light on again so will be taking to garage again tomorrow. Hopefully (and I suspect9 it will only be the one code that re-appears - P1113).

Now I now I am the kind of guy that prpobably gets right on your you know whats but.

I note that it only comes on when engine is warm and the temperature gauge reaches halfway. If you turn the engine offa d on right away it will usually come back on, however if you drive a bit more then turn engine off and on, it will go away.

I wonder if it could be related to something called the EGR valve? No idea exactly what it is but some websites indicate this could be a possible cause of such symptoms. Prhaps this would also explain the funny whistling noise coming from under the car when the engine is running?

Anyway, I ´ll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks

Phil

Phillipwatt
Hi

Sorry it has taken so long to get back on this.

Car is in garage and I am told it is the air flow meter. Is this the MAF? Anyway, fingers crossed it works. He says the part itself was 70 something euros which I ´ll have to take his word on I suppose.

Anyway - does this sound like a possible cause of the problem? I ´ll let you know if it does actialls solve the problem.

Many thanks

Phil

Phillipwatt
Hello.

I think ths could definately be the cause of the faults .. the MAF controls air/fuel mixture for the engine and if it has the engine running rich (to much fuel) or lean (to little fuel) it will throw the coolant temp sensor out of synch because the engine will be running hotter or colder than the usual default range settings in the cars onboard computer !! this would have been the first thing I would have checked/cleaned/replaced if the car had been returned to my garage with the same codes as before !!.. this does not explain the clicking you have heard under the dashboard !!

hope this helps .. let me know

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_466.png

Dave H
Well - the saga continues. Problem still not fixed and I shall definately not be using the same garage again.

In the end they have booked it into an Opel garage to establish what the proble is and what part is needed. It now seems it is likely somethng to do with the manifold thingy. In England I ´m told you can buy the whole thing including all the components etc. For 100 pounds - in Spain its 400 Euros! Anyway, they think it is something called the vacuum that is likeley to be the problem.

I will be glad when its all over!

Phillipwatt
Page 1 of 2