STRANGE NOISE WHEN I START THE V

2002 Oldsmobile Silhouette

Noises problem
2002 Oldsmobile Silhouette 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 101000 miles

When I turn the key to start the vehicle, there is a strange noise, sounds like it's coming from the dash. My husband says he can't hear it standing outside of the vehicle. It does start, I just can't describe the noise. I am afraid that it will just not start one day.

What does it sound like? Maybe we can figure it out

Jack42
It's like a grinding noise when I turn the ignition. It doesn't happen while driving or when I turn it off. Could it be the starter or the ignition switch?

The only thing I can think of that could make a grinding noise would be the starter.

Jack42
How can I know if it's the starter for sure? Is there a way to test it? I don't want to put out the money for a starter and then find out it's something else.

Best way is to raise and support vehicle and be under it when the starter is engaged so you can see if that is where the noise is coming from

Jack42