MODELS HOW TO PULL CODES WITH A PAPER

1989 Oldsmobile Other

1989 Other Oldsmobile Models 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 157000 miles

Hello, I am Robert Ballesteros. Is it possible to pull up codes using a large paperclip so that the error code will display in the dash? The car is a 1989 3.8 V6 Olds Delta 88 Royale Brougham. The " Service Engine Soon " light came on intermittently during a 15 mile drive. At home the " light" stayed on. It quit running five times. I let it idle at home and the idle was no longer smooth. It surged with the rpm going up and down; it only varied about 400 rpm. I have replaced the the coil and the distributor cap, new plugs and wires, thermostat, starter, battery, oil change, transmission fluid change ( I did not drain the torque converter ). All items replaced within the last six months except the oil & trans fluid which was done 3 days and three weeks ago, respectively. I believe the O2 & the T.P.S. Are original. Can you help, please? Thanks.
Fordolds9289

Jumper A to B see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_GM_ALCL_16.jpg