FUEL TANK REPLACEMENT

1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass

1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 182000 miles

I was recently told that the Fuel Tank on my '94 Olds Cutlass Ciera Station Wagon was leaking gasoline and the repair facility recomended that, for safety reasons, it should be replaced ASAP. I followed their recommendation, even though it was expensive to do so - safety is very important to me.
I soon discovered that the new gas tank has less capacity (14.5 gal) than the origional (16.5 gal). Naturally, I complained and finally got the repair shop manager to argee to replace the 14.5 gal. Tank with a 16.5 gal. Tank, IF I WOULD FIND the replacement.
However, I have searched the internet and called several parts dealers and discovered that the largest tank available is 15 gal. I don't understand this since the original tank was 16.5 gal. - It seems that there should be one out there somewhere. Can you tell me where can I get a 16.5 gal. Replacement gas tank or are there just none available?
Thanks in advance for your help!
M. Anthony