SPEEDOMETER FREAKING OUT

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 91000 miles

Oldsmobile Calais w/ quad 4. Driving to work last night on the freeway, right before my exit, before I started to slow down, my speedometer freaked out and started flying all over the place. It stopped for a second as I slowed down, flipped around a little more as I continued to slow. I stopped and continued on and it didn't happen again before I got to work or on the wa home from work. I didn't notice anything else going on at the time, but I could have missed something I suppose, I was pulling off the freeway and trying to not have a stroke from the speedometer suddenly shooting to top speed then no speed. Anyone have any ideas? It's done this before in the past, randomly, like once or twice a year. Is this a possible indication of other problems, or will the car still be mechanically sound?
Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I didn't see a catagory for speedometers.
Introspectiion

Check to see if y our speed sensor in your trans is ok, o r maybe one of the wires are grounding out causing this.