LOW COOLANT MESSAGE

2002 Oldsmobile Aurora

2002 Oldsmobile Aurora 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

Sept. 5, 2010 The low coolant message has appeared after the car is first started and running for a short time for any given day. This has happened 6 different times lately. The message displays until the thermostat gauge needle is between the " C" and 1/4 line, once the gauge needle reaches this point, without resetting the message board the message is automatically removed. Also, once the needle has reached this point the temperature gauge needle stays at the average place at the 1/2 line on the gauge. I can see coolant in the resevoir w/o removing the cap (which is very difficult for me to remove). Please help! Thank you!
Bacard

If this message comes on and your coolant level is correct, then either your coolant level sensor is dirty or faulty. Neither condition will effect the driveability of your car.

If you're still running dex-cool, I recommend having your entire system flushed and the coolant replaced with green coolant.

Make sure it's done correctly or you'll have many other problems.

After replacing the coolant, the sensor should work properly if it was only dirt. If it continues to fault, then replace it.

Ernest Clark