AIR PUMP

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora

Noises problem
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 96983 miles

Air pump started making squealing noises on cold start so pump was replaced but noise was still persistent so dealer told us to drive car for 500 miles to break pump in. Noise persisted car back to dealer and dealer called GM. GM told dealer that this should not be making said noise so dealer replaced pump again. Now second pump had to be replaced because pump starting making the same noise on cold and hot start. Car back at dealer for noise and now dealer has said there is nothing they can due for the noise. Dealer said GM technician said this is normal for this model year and make of car. Can you please advise? This noise is why we took car in to be serviced in the first place.
Leadtech01

It shouldn't make the noise. Is the belt, tensionier. All in good condition? Also, if they can't fix it, I would contact GM and explaine what is going on and demand your money back if they can't fix it. I'm sure the car went a lot of miles before this became a problem. As far as replacing the pump, there really isn't too much they could do to cause the issue. It is nothing more than a bolt on part.

I just dealt with this exact problem in the same year/make/engine. It's water getting in the air pump, which often causes emissions parts downstream to fail.

This link is all you need to fix it yourself for a fifth of what the dealer will get you for: http://aurorah.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=nextgeneration&action=print&thread=5507

Ptalerico