CLIMATE CONTROL PROBLEMS

1998 Oldsmobile Aurora

Air Conditioning problem
1998 Oldsmobile Aurora V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

Hello, My 1998 has problems with the climate control in the summer. I live in Las Vegas where summer temps get high. When the vehicle is parked outside during the day it gets VERY hot inside. The problem is that when I go to drive the car the air conditioner will, 1. Not work at all (no fan, no LEDs working on the temp indicator or on the various control knobs), 2. Will not work during first 15-20 minutes of operation, 3. When it does start working (somewhat) the air directional control knob does not direct the air where it says it will go.) I have had it at the dealer (Pontiac in this case since there are no more Olds dealers) who thinks that it is some control module for the system. Cost to fix was quoted at $2500 which is almost as much as the car is worth. However, it is not worth anything in Las Vegas if the air doesn't work, ha. I have tried to put the reflective shield over the wind shiels during the day. Sometimes this seems to help some, but most of the time it has no effect. It usually works fine in the morning when it is (slightly) cooler. It has worked fine since last September since the weather cooled off. Now with summer approaching I need to be able to fix it myself, I hope. If you think it is indeed the control module under the dash, I would very much appreciate knowing the exact name or part number of the unit and where to find explicit directions on how to access the module under the dash. In other words, how do you take the dash apart without breaking anything.

I really thank you for your help.
Mortster99

Hi mortster99,

Thank you for the donation.

As problem is intermittent and is affected by temperature, it is possible the control panel circuit board has some soldering faults.

Here are the removal procedures.

A/C-HEATER CONTROL PANEL
Removal & Installation
1. Remove instrument panel upper trim pad defroster vent. Remove console compartment bin. Remove shift knob. Remove shift lever trim plate. Loosen right front side of console. Remove Instrument Panel (I/P) filler trim plates next to steering column. Remove screws attaching instrument cluster trim plate and pull outward to disengage retaining clips.
Disconnect 3 electrical connectors.

2. Remove screws and instrument panel upper trim pad. Remove A/C-heater control panel retaining screws. Pull out control panel, and disconnect electrical harness connectors. Remove control panel. To install, reverse removal procedure.