CLUNKING

1995 Oldsmobile Achieva

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1995 Oldsmobile Achieva 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 279000 miles

When I suddenly accelerate to about half of the way the peddle goes down I hear a " clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk" from the front end of the car (it seems like it is coming from under the hood). The car does not make any clunks or clicks when the wheels are turned while not moving, and it does not make the clunking noise when revved out of gear. The car does not make any strange noises when deaccelerating either, no matter how sudden. The CV joint boots look fine, or at least untorn.

Does this sound like a CV joint problem? Many of the symptoms of a bad CV joint except for the clunking and vibration at certain high speeds (I think I have a bent rim) do not seem to fit. What else could be bad?
Rutro

Hi yes this could be a cn joint that is bad although the boots are not torn. And a axle can cause a vibration as well. Put the car in the air and run in drive see if axles make noise then. Sometimes the only way to find a prob like this is to completely remove the axle and check it over really good. Billymac

Billymac
Thank you for your reply!

Rutro