DEAL TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE?

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 189000 miles

I'm concerned because I just bought this car under the impression that it needed the transmission flushed and filter replaced. The trans fluid in it seems to be brand new though, and I was told on older cars that it isn't a good idea to flush them, anyway. Is it possible that if I replaced all of the vacuum hoses that it would fix the problem? When its cold it won't start out in D, I have to start in 2nd, then work it up & its fine. When it warms up it seems fine and it shifts pretty smooth when I take it on the freeway. How Do I know if the tranny is going out?
Sassy73

The idea you shouldn't change fluid in old cars is wrong if the trans has been serviced on a regular basis. Some believe that if the fluid is really dirty, clean fluid will remove the dirt and cause the clutches to slip.

If the trans won't start out in 1st, there is the chance it is going bad. Have you tried to service it? Have you tried any additives for high mileage vehicles?