NOT SURE WHAT THIS IS, REALLY FREAKS ME OUT... HELP!

2003 Ford Taurus • 125,000 miles

Whenever I get on the freeway and try to get up to speed, my car starts freaking out. It feels like someone is occasionally slamming on my brakes for half a second, so it makes the car jolt "backwards" while on the freeway. This usually happens when I am going 60-65mph. The jolting usually slows down and then stops once I've been on the freeway for a few minutes, but it happens a lot at first and is frankly very embarrassing and scaring the hell out of me. My best guess (I know nothing about cars) is that the fuel isn't reaching the engine in time?

I also need new brakes, I'm not sure if this is an important factor or not. Occasionally while I'm driving, my parking brake light will go on. I'll pull the release lever but the light doesn't shut off (obviously my parking brake isn't on while I'm driving down the road). Any ideas on what this might be? Thanks
Minischankie

Has the check engine light come on? As far as the brake light, are you sure the brake fluid is full?

My check engine light hasn't come on. I do know that my brake fluid isn't full, but the brake light is the least of my worries at this point. I can go get my brakes checked whenever I have a free day, but I'd like to know what's causing the jolting to happen before I take it to a mechanic and have them charge me for just identifying the problem.

Minischankie
The reason I asked about the check engine light is because the brakes wouldn't do what you described. To me is sounds more like the engine misfires. Do you notice the engine doing anything different?

As far as the brake light, it could be caused by being low on brake fluid.