WONDERING IF THIS IS A TRANNY PROBLEM OR

2007 Nissan Versa

2007 Nissan Versa 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 43000 miles

i have an automatic 2007 nissan versa. The tranny is a CVT. Anywho, last friday I while I was driving downtown I noticed when a you start from a complete stop (red light or stop sign or so) that the car punches to 5 mph, then it starts dragging bad! I'd have the pedal pratically on the floor and its reving up real hard (hit 5k rpm downhill) but it was still dragging. But once it hit's about 38 mph, it just slams into action like a rocket. On the highway it works fine. No problems. Any driving over 40 mph works great, no problem. But inner city driving especially around 15-35 mph is just horrible.

now I noticed several months ago the check engine light came on, but generally i've been told that the check engine lights were designed to get extra money out of you once your warranty expires, and usually theres nothing wrong with the car. So I shrugged it off. Nissan sent me a letter a few months ago saying that they were extending the warranty on the CVT tranny's from 60k to 120k miles. (So obviously that makes me think the tranny is garbage anyway)

anywho, I took the car to the dealership, hoping they would say " tranny is crap" and repair/replace it on warranty. But instead they brought me the diagnostic papers that read:

" 44855 11500 0.6 performed diagnosis, and found codes for A/F sensor and engine speed signal. Need to replace the A/F sensor and reprogram the ECM and retest. 11500 0.6 Diag"

the bill would come up to be 500 bucks to do this. So are they trying to jerk me around just to get rid of the 'check engine light'? And this is actually a tranny issue? I have no idea what an a/f sensor is, or what it does. But I figured buying a brandnew car, I should be able to avoid any repairs until the car is payed for : -/ guess not.

so what do you guys think?
Keithyhuntington