SENSOR LIGHT

1986 Nissan Truck

Computer problem
1986 Nissan Truck 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 90896 miles

The Sensor Light is on but I don't know how to find the code. My manual says there is an ECU under the drivers seat. And there is, However: the manual says that there should be a SWITCH and a green and red led, or there should be an adjustment screw to turn. The problem is there is only one led and it is green and it does not flash. There is no adjustment screw to turn. And there is no switch. When I turn the key on the sensor light is constant. There is a chime that sounds 9 times but that doesn't match any of the codes.

What next?
Trainfan51

Have you had the truck since it was new? I have gone through all the diagrams from '83 to '86 and your computer " is" supposed to have a red and green led. The single green led is apparently from an older model. If I remember correctly from years back, there is supposed to be a screw you have to run in or out to access the codes and the single green led blinks like the check engine light on a GM. Take another look and let me know.

James W.
[Reply=" David Laube" ]
James: Thank you for your response. We bought the truck used. I pulled out the seat and took the cover off of the computer. There is only one led Green. There is no adjustment screw. Having worked on copier circuit boards this was pretty simple.

The cover for the computer has a large 7 on the label. The part #is A17-001 032-3 With the numbers 5717 in a box.

The number on the circuit board is A16-618 049

Trainfan51
Let me dig a little deeper and I'll try to get back to you yet today, Jim.

James W.
Just wondering if you have come up with something yet? I still have the problem.

Trainfan51
I haven't forgotten you. I need to access a part of my system for the older models and it is down right now. I'll keep trying.

James W.
Ok. Thanks I really appreciate your help I just can't believe this hasn't come up enough time to where it isn't in the manual. But I'm sure this doesn't suprise you.

Trainfan51
Hi, I had one of those trucks so I cant help you, to run the codes you need to turn the key to the on position, then on the side of the comp there is a small switch or screw, this switch controls the " mode" the computer is in, after the switch is thrown one or both lights will flash, one, two, three, four blinks, when it gets to four throw the switch back, then it will flash you the codes, tens then ones, example, first light will flash " one" the second light flashes 4 times, code number 14. Turn the key of to return to normal mode. If your comp has a screw turn it for " on" then trun it back for off, please let me know how it goes. To clear code disconnect the battery for 5 mins.

: -)

2CarPros Ken

Trainfan51
I have checked every computer system for a nissan p/u from '80 to '87 and can find nothing on the type of computer you have. I've even checked some of the cars. I used to have a repair manual for just Nissan and Toyota car and truck computers up to '88, but I can't find it. Probably lent it out. I'll keep looking, the answer is here somewhere.

James W.
Thanks Jim, Does the ECU have a screw with an arrow?

2CarPros Ken