HIGH IDLE AND WHITE SMOKE

1986 Nissan Stanza

1986 Nissan Stanza 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 127000 miles

I have a 1986 Nissan Stanza with 127,000 miles. I filled the tank up with gas to full from 1/4. After I filled up, I got on the interstate and drove about 5 miles and took an off ramp. I took it out of gear (manual) and the car started to rev up all by itself. It went from 1rpm to 3rpm and back down then back up again without me touching the gas or anything. Also every time it would rev up, a big cloud of white smoke would come out the back. This smoke was very thick and had a gas smell to it. My husband checked it to see if it had moisture coming from the exhaust but the smoke was dry and so was the tail pipe. We shut the car off and when we started it back up, it started doing the same thing with revving up and then blowing out white smoke. We checked the oil to see if there was any coolant in it and there wasn't. I was just wondering what could be causing our car to do this.
Oreocookie1985