TOO MANY PROBLEMS...

1997 Nissan Sentra

1997 Nissan Sentra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

OK, i've noticed a few funny things that my car does that have raised concern
1) The whole car starts shaking when i'm going over 45mph but only when i'm pressing on the gas petal. My brother says it's the CV Joint. If so how much would that cost to fix on average?

2) When I turn my car off and step out, I hear a ticking noise under the hood. What does that mean?

3) When I shift the car into either " drive" or " reverse" my engine makes a big " thud" noise and it also does that while driving when the car is shifting to a higher gear. Is this ok or something that I need to fix soon?
Crazysmurf57

Your first and third symptoms may be related. Both sound like a driveline issue that may or may not be related to each other or to a half shaft.

Retail on the shaft is about 100-150, the labor is a couple hours.I'd think. So the labor is probably around 150. You need to call a shop to verify. Variables include mark up and part quality.

A shop can diagnose this. I would run it while off the ground to see where the slop is first.

How long does the ticking last? Is it consistent? This sounds either electric such as a relay or metal cooling off. You need to narrow down the source by listening and looking.