MODELS 200SX VG30E MYSTERIOUS

1988 Nissan Other

Engine Cooling problem
1988 Other Nissan Models 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 120000 miles

So I've got this 1988 Nissan 200sx with the 3.0 liter VG30E engine and it's over heating.

From the engine block, the thermostat hose goes to the bottom of the radiator. Engine gets hot, this hose doesn't. So I change the thermostat. I even test the thermostat in boiling water first and it's working great.

Start the car up, car gets hot, nothing goes to the thermostat hose or makes it to the radiator, car overheats. I'm thinking water pump.

So I change the water pump, old one appears to be in great shape, but I change it anyway, along with timing belt. Start the car up, same problem.

I've checked the hose going to the radiator from the thermostat (still doesn't get any flow), and it's clean, no blockage. The coolant that came out of the engine was green and did not look dirty. The radiator isn't in great shape, but again, the coolant doesn't even make it that far.

Am I going crazy? What else could possibly be wrong here? (And yes, I did install the thermostat the correct way with the spring facing the engine) If you could help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

-Howard
Soapdude