MODELS ENGINE STALLS AND WON'T START

1986 Nissan Other

1986 Other Nissan Models 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 190000 miles

I have a 1986 Nissan 200SX and had the alternator replaced 3 months ago (by a repair shop) after the engine stalled and would not restart. Since then the car has continued to stall periodically either on the freeway or driving 30-40 mph. Took it back to the repair shop and told that the distributor wires were not connected properly (reversed?) Which was causing the stalling problem. (Note: we changed the spark plugs ourselves over a year ago and did not touch the wires. And the mechanic says he did not touch them either) At that time the repair shop also confirmed that the new alternator is fine.
When the car stalls and the engine dies it won't start. The engine will crank over, but not ignite. When it stalled and would not start, we disconnected/reconnected the battery and the car started. One week later, it stalled again and this time I was able to restart the engine by popping the clutch in second gear while coasting to the freeway shoulder. Although the repair shop said they did a thorough diagnosis when it stalled after having the alternator replaced, could it be the powertrain control module or as simple as the battery cable connection? I'm really having a hard time spending any additional money to fix this car unless its something very simple and inexpensive.
Johannecastro