HESITATION AFTER HIGHWAY MILES

2003 Nissan Murano

2003 Nissan Murano 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

Our Murano seems to run great in all respects except this one: after highway miles once we re-enter stop-and-go traffic (city driving or toll booths or construction/accident traffic) the car hesitates for 3 to 5 seconds when accelerating from stop. When acceleration does kick in, the car lurches forward as if we stomped on gas.

Coincidentally (?) When this problem is occurring, and we try to run the cruise control, the car will maintain speed for 10-15 seconds, then there is a slight loss of power and the engine surges to catch back up to speed. We can watch a small drop on Tach needle as this happens.

Problem does not seem to occur in city-only driving. And it doesn't happen all the time. It does not hesitate when driving at speed and then one accelerates. It is only when starting from a stop.

Mechanic has not been able to find fault codes that indicate problem. We drove car for 15-20 minutes on highway before taking it in to shop a few weeks ago and could not re-create problem. Mechanics have also driving it themselves and could not re-create the problem. (I guess they don't want to drive it long/far enough; and to be fair, you have to get off the highway again to see it is happening, so it's hard for them do recreate the issue).

Mechanic has checked transmission fluid in CVT. It was overfull, when some was drained off, problem improved for a time, but now it is back.

We've also changed spark plugs, air filter. And we've been told the Mass Air Flow sensor needs to be " de-carbed" -- whatever that means. And I don't think our " second opinion" mechanic gave that any creedance and didn't do anything.
Truewill