ELECTRICAL SYSTEM WARNING LIGHT

Nissan Maxima

I have a 1993 Maxima GXE, 3.0L, 160HP, V6 with 98000 miles.

It failed to start the other day in my garage. I got a boost from AAA and drove it to a nearby repair shop. They replaced my alternator.

The electrical system warning light had never come on while I was driving. It did glow during the bulb test at startup.

The repair shop couldn't explain why I had no warning light. A week later, when I took it in to Nissan for regular service, the service rep told me it doesn't warn for an alternator problem. This seems odd to me and leaves me feeling that if there should be another problem I wouldn't know about until I stalled again. Perhaps in a less convenient place.

Is the dealer rep correct that the light doesn't come on when the alternator fails? If it should have lit, what should I do now?

Thanks.
Gyaffe