TIMING BELT

1998 Nissan Maxima

Engine problem
1998 Nissan Maxima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

The Nissan dealer I went to said that it would change my timing belt, and while they had it down, would also change the oil pump. This would cost me about $600.00. Does this sound like to much money? Do I really need to change the oil pump too?
Dstark

Hello !

Well Once you replace the timing belt its recommendable to replace all the oil seals the tensioner and the WATER PUMP.

The oil pump they said?

Well ask them why !

It is damage?

Once you drive your car into a dealer they start making money and looking the way to make more.

I would recommend you to get a quote on a good shop and then compare the prices. You know, most of the people think that the dealer mechanics are always right and. That its not true!

We`re mechanics and some of us we used to work on a dealer and we know for a fact that the dealer charges a lot more money than a good reputable shop, on the same exact job.

Also be sure that the part that they are replacing it need to be replaced !

Good Luck!

Fisherman