WONT START

1992 Nissan Maxima

1992 Nissan Maxima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 140000 miles

i put a water pump n a timing kit on this car. It was running perfect before but I figured I would do the timing belt while it was open. The car just turns over with no compression at the cylinders. Some people say the valves are bent while others say I probably didnt time it on the correct stroke. What do you think. I used a repair manual from autozone as a referral tool.
93redmaxima

Did you put the engine no.1 piston on its compression stroke/TDC

To the best of my knowledge I had #1 piston on TDC upon compression stroke. Is there a surefire method to make sure its tdc on compression stroke!

93redmaxima
Make sure its on compression stroke-you can remove the valve cover and check the no.1 valves both should be closed and piston is all the way up for no.1 and also the rotor should be pointing to no. 1 cap tower at crank TDC/0 deg

I will do that this wknd- if the valves were bent wouldn't there be some noise indicating valve damage.

93redmaxima
Could be the valves if its making noises-yours is an interference engine. What you need to do is open it up and verify if the belt is set properly and the cam and crank sprockets.