IRRATIC RUNNING IN HOT WEATHER

1987 Nissan Maxima

1987 Nissan Maxima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

HI, I had a problem with the running last summer, after putting in some cheap gas. Tried using a cleaning substance with the gas. Didn't initially seem to help any. The car would run pretty smoothly when the weather was cooler or cold but when It got hot the car would be jerky++ and sometimes stall. After a bit it would start again but throwing heaps of dark looking smoke!

I had it looked at and put on a diagnostic equipement, but they just seemed to find other things wrong and said it would be too old and costly to keep trying to find the problem and I should just get a new car!
I couldn't do that but the car then seemed to settle down and I had no further problem with it until last week, once again when the weather was much hotter! The same problem with it not working well when its hot weather but ok when its cool. Once again I've put a cleaner thru it and used more expensive Chevron Gas.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks!
Morein09

Are you getting a check engine light?

I would have the ignition module tested, they will generally fail hot and work again when cool.

Also check fuel pressure with mechanical gauge and fuel pressure vacuum line for presence of gasoline which would indicate a ruptured diaphram in FPR.

You may be better off going to junk yard and see if you can find an ignition module from a running car. If you find one, get everything you can afford, distributor, relay/fuse box etc. These parts are expensive and hard to find, so having spares is a good investment.

Check with autoparts store to see what years the ignition module was used in, e.G. 87-90 or 87- 92 etc.

Mmprince4000