WATER LEAKING INSIDE CAR, DRAINING TO RI

2005 Nissan Altima

Air Conditioning problem
2005 Nissan Altima 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 79000 miles

I discovered a puddle of water in the right, rear floorboard of the car. I had parked the car on a steep hill and the water had drained from the front right floorboard.
After diagnosing where the water may have come from, I discovered the water only occurred when the A/C was running. I could feel cold water in the floorboard of the front passenger seat. It is apparently A/C condensate draining from beneath the dash.
Do I have a clogged or broken drain tube? If so, how do I find and repair?
Jefre9461

Yes that probably is the problem. The tray that collects all of the condensation from the heater core and evaporator core has a drain tube. If it is clogged then it will back up and pour onto the floor from behind the lower dash. But, listen now, if you park your car on an incline when there is condensation accumulation in that tray then is gonna pour backwards and again onto the floor. See what I'm saying. Now the drain tube is in the engine compartment on the fire wall usually on the passenger side of the compartment. It can be soft rubber or a hard tube, but it should be bent downward at a 90 degree angle. Stick a pen or something in there to make sure its not clogged.

Let me know what happens

Legitimate007
I have what looks like the same problem. I bought the car a few days ago and removed the carpets and found all the water. I am going to replace the carpet but before I do, I'd like to know how to fix the problem. If it is the A/C what do I need to do?

82ndYank
Hi 82ndYank,

You need to check for a clogged or dislodged evaporator drain tube.

What up khlow2008? Yes that is the first thing your gonna want to check is the evap tube, it may be clogged with debris, simply put a pen or something skinny that wont break and work it back and forth, but it could also be a heater core or a drain problem too. So hopefully its just the evap drain. Are you positive its water and not coolant?

Legitimate007
Funny. I had the same issue today.
So. Where do I find this drain tube specifically? I'm handy with most things, but not with technical car/engine terms.

Do I take the glove box out? Or go under the car (passenger side)? Or go in from the top-side of the engine (passenger side)? I know I'm looking for a " pinky finger-sized tube". Where is it coming from or going to? Sorry, I need a map. Thanks a bunch for your help.

Sincerley,
wet floor mat in Minnesota

Gkrampe
No, its gonna be against the firewall inside the engine compartment, usually if not all the time, on the passenger side it will be like a ninety degree angle pointing downward

Legitimate007
Cool, thanks. But, do I get on my back and look from under the car? Or from the hood looking down?

Also, I see metal and rubber tubes. What's it made of?

Gkrampe
Yes you can look down, from the engine copartment and reach it.

Legitimate007
It could be rubber or plastic

Legitimate007
Cool. Thanks again.

Gkrampe