TIMING CHAIN

2005 Nissan Altima

2005 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

What are the symtoms of a bad timing chain(dealer say's I need to replace)
Karenswan

Hi Karen,

Are you having any problems with the car? Did you have it at the dealer for maintenance?

If for just routine maintenance then they may have looked at the milage and the recommended services and replacements that should be done. All vehicles have a recommended service and replacement milage. And it may be at the recommended replacement for the timing chain. You can choose to have it done or wait. However, if you choose to wait the possibilitiy of timing problems increase and can cost more in the long run.

.

Obxautomedic
Ses light came on, dealer replaced crank sensor, light came back on and another code came up(don't remember) and they said it was my timing chain. Car takes a little longer to start but works fine, no funny noises? Does this sound like a timing problem

Karenswan
If light is still on go by your local parts store and ask them to pull codes for you and write them down then post them here. Most will do it for free.

When you accelerate do you hear a ticking or rattling noise? This noise can indicate a timing problem.

Also how many miles on the car?

.

Obxautomedic
There's 132243km's, there's no really funny noises, just hard starting, should I trust the dealer?Their solution is expensive, what is the cheapest way to diagnose this problem

Karenswan
Being on this forum will be the cheapest way. I will need the codes the engine has produced in order to give better diagnostic.

Another question did you recently purchase this vehicle from them?

Obxautomedic