EGR VALVE

2001 Nissan Altima

2001 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

My daughter purchased a used 2001 Nissan Altima. The check engine light came on, so she went back to where she purchased the car (there is a warrenty). He replaced the EGR valve and the light went on. The next day the light came on again. This was done about 3 or 4 times. When we asked another garage about the EGR Valve. We were told that the system had to be cleaned.

The dealer is giving us a hard time, they just keep replacing the EGR Valve. Quite interesting, I understand the EGR valve has something to do with the emmissions. This particular dealer just stuck an inspection sticker on the car. Question; if there is a true problem with the system, wouldn't the car fail for emmissions. (We live in NJ).

Would you be able to educate me on the workings of the EGR Valve and its use in the car?
Rondee791

If the check engine light is on it fails the emission test. The EGR valve controls the amount of exhaust gas routed to the intake manifold. Vacuum is applied to the EGR valve in response to throttle valve opening. The vacuum controls the movement of a taper valve connected to the vacuum diaphragm in the EGR valve.
The main reason for the egr valve is to reduce combustion chamber temperture to reduce nox emission which is when nitrogen and oxygen combine. If you could go to a auto part's store like auto zone and have them scan your car for code's and let me know what the code number's are that would help me a lot to give you more advice on your car.

I will get the code and get right back to you.

Thank you

Rondee791
The code trouble shooting PO4O2 also
oembranddomestic. Is this helpful for you to get an answer for me to be able to get the dealer to fix it!

Rondee791