DIY FOR REPLACING WATER PUMP

2000 Nissan Altima

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 150000 miles

I have a Nissan Altima 2000 that has leak on the water pump. I have been replenishing cooling solution, but since weather is bound to get warmer and having Engine very hot is not a good idea, I decided to fix the problem.

My question is:
1) How much would replacing water pump cost? (Asking for expert's opinion about fair pricing)

2) I heard that replacing water pump is not too bad. Is it really possible do it yourself? If I do DIY, then what kind of any specific equipment will be needed?

Thank you in advance
Song
Smsong814

There are no special tools needed for the repairs, just basic mechanic tools such as sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, torque wrench etc... An estimate is below for having your vehicle's water pump removed and replaced..

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_250.jpg

If you would like the replacement procedures just post your engine size (1.8L , 2.0L etc..) and I will post them for you..

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!

Bluelightnin6
Thanks for your prompt response. I have Nissan Altima 2000 that has 2.4 L engine. I will wait for your response.

Many thanks,
Song

Smsong814
Drain the cooling system.
Remove or disconnect the following: Negative battery cable
Right lower splash cover
Alternator and A/C compressor
Coolant tube
Water pump
NOTE
Do not disconnect the air conditioning compressor lines. Unbolt the compressor and lay it off to the side. NOTE
The mounting bolts are different sizes and must be reinstalled in the correct location; therefore it is a good idea to arrange the bolts so that they can be easily identified during installation.
To install: Be sure all gasket surfaces are clean and properly apply a continuous bead of silicone sealer to the pump.
Install or connect the following: Water pump and torque the 6mm bolts to 57-66 inch lbs. (6-8 Nm) and the 8mm bolts to 12-14 ft. Lbs. (16-19 Nm)
Coolant tube
Alternator and A/C compressor
Right side lower splash shield
Negative battery cable
Fill the cooling system.
Start the engine, check for leaks and repair if necessary.

If you need further assistance just let me know.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

Bluelightnin6