TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

1996 Nissan Altima

1996 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 88,000 miles

The City of Chicago has a terrible problem with potholes. While traveling down a city street and avoiding thousands of them, I finally hit the " Mother of All Potholes" but because it was rush hour had to keep moving with the flow of traffic. I pulled into a parking lot of a local grocery store to shop and when I restarted the car and tried to reverse, the car rolled a couple of feet, then the gears no longer engaged so I was unable to get in gear in reverse or drive. Looking under where the car was parked, there was a pretty big puddle. When I dipped my finger in it, the fluid color was that telltale transmission fluid color red. The fluid was pretty clean. This happened to me today, the car is safe in a parking lot and won't be towed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, since I don't know what I am dealing with. My funds are limited since I have been laid off for 6 months. What is the " best and worst case" scenario? I have nightmare images of dancing dollars streaming out of my wallet. Thanks!
Bob Laney

LOOK UNDERNEATH @ THE TRANSMISSION! you probably bottomed out and ripped part of the trans pan off or away from it's seal from the gasket and bolts. get a jug(not just a quart) of trans fluid and fill yours up to get your ass home.
just looking should let you know what actually happened. i'm from chicgao area too and u-pull-it is on about 4900 w north ave or pick-and-pull on archer rd and 61st(i think). find a pan. . .see pic

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/400521_underneath_1.jpg

Aap34798