ATLIMA 97 DISTRIBUTOR

1997 Nissan 300ZX

Hi,

My car had hard time starting and then it died on me on the road.

The mechanic tells me that I need a new Distributor and a tune up after that.

He claims the dist. Is around 300 (checked in Autozone = 200).
Is it true that I need a tune-up also after I install the dist. Or are they making false claims. After all I could just attach the distributor on my self.

Jannayf

Do you have any OBD2 codes-If you don't know anything about valve and ignition timing don't. Deal with the Pros.

FYI Nissan's distributors anything wrong inside calls for replacement-check the ignition fuse if it has one.

Lana
It is very possible that it is your distributor. They are very easy to replace. Just make sure you put the #1 piston at TDC(top dead center), line up the timing marks before you remove it and you are good to go. I replaced mine in about 45 minutes on my 95 Nissaan Altima GXE. I had the same problem. The car would die on the road and I waited about an hr or so and it started back up. It could also be a manifold absolute pressure sensor. But take the advise of the prior. Ask the pros if your are unsure how to mess with these things. I am just an exprimenting mechanic. (Shade tree) although I have had success dong my own work. Never had to use the pros. Just mechanically inclined I guess. Good luck.

Sworn2prtcusa2002