CAR DOSENT SHIFT

1994 Nissan 300ZX

1994 Nissan 300ZX 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 127000 miles

My car wont shift past 2nd gear. When I step on it it will go very slowly and the engine revs up. I drove it once in the freeway and at 65mph the rpm were 3500. This problem started at exactly the same time the car refused to start after some body work was finished. When I turn the key the radio turns off but all dash lights stay on and the starter does not click and engine does not turn over. Car does start however because my uncle ran a wire from the starter to some cable under the steering column. With that wire car starts as if nothing was wrong with the key but transmission is faulty. Could these problems be linked? If I fix the starting problem will it fix the transmission problem? Thank you in advance for your help.
Wickedz1